Motorcycle crashes are one of the most common forms of traffic accidents, and the fatalities due to it are higher. This is mainly because motorcyclists are less protected compared to drivers of cars and other vehicles. Wearing the helmets reduces the risk of fatalities, but still causes injuries that range from mild to severe. If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, then you must hire a motorcycle accident attorney for filing a claim or lawsuit to get compensated for the damages that you suffered. Shared below are common causes of motorcycle accidents in Los Angeles, California.
Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents
According to the traffic laws of Los Angeles, motorcyclists must strictly wear helmets. You must keep in mind that this only reduces or avoids head injuries. Compared to four-wheeled vehicles, motorcycles are least likely to withstand a crash. Listed below are the major reasons for motorcycle accidents.
- Compared to cars or jeeps, motorcycles have fewer safety measures to protect the rider.
- In most motorcycle accidents, the rider is flung away from the impact of the collision, and this causes major injuries. One of the main reasons for this is the reduced weight and size of motorcycles.
- Unlike cars, motorcycles have an open design, and this makes riders more vulnerable to road hazards and weather conditions.
Shared below are two common types of motorcycle accidents.
Left Turn Accidents
In this type of accident, a car or jeep making a left turn hits a motorcycle. This usually happens when the motorcyclist does the following:
- Passes the jeep or car
- Attempts to overtake the jeep or car
- Heads straight into the intersection without slowing down
One of the main reasons for this type of collision is the motorcycle being in the blind spot of the motorist making the left turn. So, the rider of the motorcycle must check whether he/she is partly responsible for the accident before filing a lawsuit or claim to recover compensation for damages. This can be clarified with the help of an experienced motorcycle accident attorney, and they will proceed accordingly in the court of law.
Lane splitting is when the motorcyclist rides between two lanes. This is a very common practice during traffic jams. Motorcycle accidents happen due to lane splitting happens because of the following reasons:
- The motorcyclist gets too close to the cars
- The jeep or car driver was not anticipating the motorcyclist
- There is not enough space for the motorcyclist to maneuver
You must know that the traffic laws of the state of California permit lane splitting by motorcyclists. This affects the outcome of a lawsuit or insurance claim to recover compensation for damages.
On a final note, it is always important to hire the services of accident injury lawyers for filing claims or lawsuits for compensation. This will lift the burden of legal proceedings off your shoulders while recovering from injuries.